Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Friendly Strangers

Everything here is frozen, quiet and covered with a thick, wet blanket of fluffy puffy snow. I wish I could say that I like it but I hate it. I'm a Spring and Summer girl at heart. I guess I picked a bad place to live? I picture myself moving out West sometimes. It's one of my many fantasies. Nothing wrong with dreaming right?

After the miserable and slick drive to work I warmed up with a large cup of coffee and what will soon become the very boring and ritualistic bowl of oats. I did add preserves to the mix this morning though. You know, to SPICE it up. LIVIN ON THE EDGE!
  • 1/2 Irish Oats
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • dash cinnamon
  • 2 packets splenda
  • dash salt
  • 1 tbs of apricot preserves


I LOVE oatmeal. It warms me through straight to the core. Good stuff!

With my breakfast I also consumed a bottle of water. I'm doing pretty good on the water intake so far. I will update you every Friday about my water consumption as well as how I'm doing on my other 2010 goals and weight loss. I figure if I have to update you I have to DO GOOD right? It's like turning the pressure on to stay motivated. I love you guys and blogging. Something about having to share your daily eats, workouts, slips, joys and struggles with others makes you want to try harder. Like a support system of friendly strangers who provide great ideas and motivation. YAY!

It was freezing at the office today so I tried to warm up with some tea a bit later. It didn't work. Probably because of the smooth, cool draft oozing in through my office window. BAH!


Lunch today was super simple and delicious! I made a wrap with a wheat FlatOut, ham, baby spinach, spray butter and spicy mustard. On the side I had three bread and butter pickles. MY FAVORITE! I love pickles. ;)


The most amazing event took place after I ate my lunch. Ann and I actually left the office WILLINGLY and drove in BAD SNOWY WEATHER to Wal-mart. Now let me explain why this is amazing.

MIRACLE #1 - Ann hates driving in snow just as much as I do yet we decided to leave.
MIRACLE #2 - We both LOATHE Wal-Mart yet we decided that NO OTHER place would do.
MIRACLE #3 - We both hate being cold and it was FREEZING OUT. Yet we left. WOW!

Okay, you get the idea. She needed a new coffee pot because hers was cracked and I needed a new can opener because the last two I purchased broke after the 1st use. I have a can opener curse!!! I knew we would be able to find something cheap at Wal-mart. I didn't want to pay a lot since you know, it would probably break in a week anyways. HA!

For my afternoon snack I had one of my favorite healthy little treats. I toasted a 100 calorie English muffin, topped it with a wedge of light swiss Laughing Cow cheese, sprinkled Splenda and cinnamon on top then added a few thin slices of apple. YUM! I ate the rest of the apple on the side. SO TASTY!


When 5:00 o'clock rolled around Ann and I ritualistically followed each other SLOWLY on crappy side roads all the way to the gym. Somehow we both feel safer if we follow each other. Why? Because she is OBSESSED with her car and I know she would never rear end me so I always make sure that she is behind me. HAHAHA! ;)

Here it today's workout.

Situps with 10lb ball
x20
x20
x20
Crunches
x20
x20
x20
Plank (hate these)
20 seconds
20 seconds
Reverse Leg Raise Crunches
x20
x20
x20
Oblique Twist with 8lb ball
x20
x20
x20
Elliptical - Interval Training
20 minutes, Levels 6-8, 245 calories burned
Stretchy Cord Session (2 circuits back to back)
Tricep extensions x15
Bicep curls x15
Bent over row x15

After the gym I snailed home in the snow, took a nice hot bath and decided to make myself a special little dinner. Nick was visiting his mom for dinner so I was cooking for one. I was in the mood for some Asian flair. I came up with a delicious little recipe. It included the following...
  • 1 bag of steamed green beans
  • 2 cups of steamed cauliflowers
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 tbs soy sauce
  • 2 tbs teriyaki sauce
  • 1 heaping tbs Thai chili paste (for heat)
  • Fresh cracked black pepper
I had all of these ingredients simmering in a pan while some Thai Rice noodles were soaking in boiling hot water.

For these rice noodles you don't add them to boiling water and keep boiling it. You bring the water to a boil, remove it from the heat and let the noodles soak for about 10 minutes.

Once the noodles were done with their hot bath, I added them to the pan and tossed them with the veggie mixture. This dish was SO simple. It turned out very tasty.


I think next time I might add some or even all of the following to the mix. Fresh peas, broccoli, shrimp, chicken, pork, water chestnuts. MMMM!

For a bit of a snack later I had a cup of Stash double spice chai tea. I love this brand.


I added a splash of cream and fat free whip and I promise you, it tastes SO good. Reminds me of pumpkin pie. ;)

I also enjoyed some Newman's Own Organic Alphabet Cookies. They were very tasty. Nice and crunchy with a mellow buttery and sugary flavor. I give them a 10 out of 10. They went so well with the tea! My tummy is happy now.


And with a lovely quote, I bid you goodnight.

Did you ever stop to taste a carrot? Not just eat it, but taste it? You can't taste the beauty and energy of the earth in a Twinkie. ~Astrid Alauda

No comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com