Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kitchen Livin...

Hello my little bloggeties. I hope you're all having a wonderful Sunday. Mine started off bright and early. For some reason I woke up at 7:30 today. Granted this is not considered early for most people, but for me on a weekend this was unheard of. I tend to sleep in whenever humanly possible. Sundays usually being the day when I stay in bed the longest.

No matter. I celebrated my early awakening with a cup of Kahlua and Cream coffee, topped with fat free whip and cinnamon.


I spent 2 hours (not even kidding) reading blogs. I fell behind and needed to rectify the situation immediately with some sweet bloggy-type therapy! I felt better with each passing droolworthy picture and cleverly written paragraph. You sassy little food vixens never cease to amaze me!

BREAKFAST (meal #1) at 9:30am.

I didn't get around to eating until 2.5 hours after waking up. Hey, it happens. I decided to make a MASSIVE sunny side up egg (1 whole egg and 3 egg whites) and a toasted Thomas's everything bagel thin (sprayed with Spray Butter).


I miss runny eggs. Why don't I have them more often? WHY? Sometimes (all the time) I make no sense.

Nick mozzied on down from Slumber Land while I was devouring my plate. His face tattooed with groves from his pillow. He clearly slept well. I love his tired and "tousled" look first thing in the morning. He started eyeing my breakfast and rubbing his stomach. I immediately recognized these ritualistic signs of hunger. I lovingly played my role of WONDERFUL girlfriend and whipped him up some greasy hashbrowns. It's all he wanted. Gross! I'm pretty sure I heard him moan as he ate. Smiling at me with his greasy lips. There was love in them eyes. HA!

LUNCH (meal #2) at 1:30pm.

All I wanted was a salad. I'm on a real salad kick lately. I just CRAVE them all the time. I can't help myself.
  • Sweet butter lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Butter beans
  • Bread & Butter pickles
  • Roasted garlic hummus
  • Sprouted sunflower seeds
  • Tomato


I love this flavor combo!

I spent the rest of my afternoon being lazy. I played in the kitchen, cuddled with kitty, browsed for recipes online and read some magazines. I adore Sundays!

My kitchen adventures did manifest into creamy, decadent, low calorie hummus brilliance! BEHOLD!!

This contains 4 things. That's IT! 1 can of chick peas + 2 sauteed onions (cooked in spray butter, NO oil) + black pepper + garlic salt. After the onions were tender I tossed all four ingredients into the food processor and let it rip.


This entire pile of goodness is only 370 calories. And if my math skills serve me correctly, each 70 gram serving (which is roughly 4 tbs???) is only 62 calories (give or take). YAY! I'm sure I'll be consuming this crack all week!


SNACK (meal #3) at 5:30pm.


I was feeling snacky this afternoon. I made a big bag of 98% fat free popcorn that I shared with Nick. I jazzed it up with Spray butter, sea salt, Splenda, TONS of cinnamon and a small handful of raisins. Drool!


At this point I was starting to become restless. If it's not one thing it's another. When I have plans all weekend, I wish I didn't so I could relax. When I have no plans at all, I wish I did to avoid boredom. What is wrong with me? Nick and I decided to watch some episodes of Mad Men. That shut me up for a while but didn't keep me interested for long. Before I knew it I was wandering around the house looking for something to do. Somehow I ended up in the kitchen again. SHOCKING right? Wait, it's about to get more intense and mysterious. I DECIDED TO BAKE!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my sad attempt at healthy Maple Banana Raisin Oatmeal Cookies.
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 wheat bran
  • 3 mashed bananas
  • handful of golden raisins
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp maple extract
  • 5 drops vanilla custard Capella drops
This was enough for roughly 12 cookies. I baked them for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.


Verdict? Not sure! Not quite a cookie, not quite cake. Perhaps more muffin like? Or a banana bread nibble? Nick and I had one each and then I packed the rest away. We will call that Meal #4 mmmmkay? Trust me, the rest will get eaten as well. Perhaps I need to attempt more baking adventures to "perfect my skills"! :)

DINNER (meal #5) at 10:00pm.

I decided to make a healthified version of Tuna Casserole. I just can't stay out of the kitchen today. Here are the steps.
  1. I boiled the pasta as directed.
  2. For the sauce, instead of cream of mushroom soup, I used 1 cup of 2% milk and 3 wedges of light Laughing Cow Cheese. I cooked them together on low heat until the cheese melted.
  3. I also sliced and sauteed some white mushrooms in garlic powder and Spray Butter.
  4. When the pasta was done I drained it and stirred in the mushrooms, 2 cans of white albacore tuna in water (drained), 1/2 cup frozen peas and the cheese sauce.
  5. I gave it a good stir and poured it into a casserole dish. I popped it into the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
  6. Took it out, gave it a stir and covered it with a mix of crunchy Panko breadcrumbs, garlic salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
  7. I popped it back into the oven for 10 minutes and voila! It was goooooooooood!


Nick's brother Dan is here for the Rally Race and dinner. I think I'll sneak upstairs and unwind with some TV and a magazine before bed. I'll let the brothers "bond". :)

Have a great night my lovelies!
XOXO

Ildie

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I have the day off tomorrow and that tuna casserole looks like the perfect lunch - I love when I have all the ingredients for a yummy blog recipe! Is it weird that at 29years old I've never actually had tuna casserole? :)

sweetlife said...

tuna casserole..how retroly delish!! ur pkg is sent and should be there shortly!!enjoy!!

sweetlife

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com